Prad am Stilfserjoch (Prato allo Stelvio), Italy, Saturday 17 June 2017
The Stelvio Marathon in Italy is set to become a classic in the international mountain running calendar.
Held in the alpine province of South Tyrol (German: Südtirol, Italian: Alto Adige), where most residents are native speakers of German, the event will offer two incredibly scenic uphill races:
- 26km (+ 2,250m of ascent)
- 42.195km (+ 2,350m of ascent)
Both races will start in the village of Prad am Stilfserjoch (Prato allo Stelvio) which sits at an elevation of 915 metres in the Vinschgau (Val Venosta) valley.
The marathon begins with an undulating 16km warm-up loop through the valley.
Then, the route climbs on asphalt roads, gravel roads and hiking trails up to the finish line on the Stelvio Pass (German: Stilfserjoch, Italian: Passo dello Stelvio).
Situated at 2,757 metres above sea level, the Stelvio Pass is the second-highest paved mountain pass in the Alps. It has featured ten times in the Giro d'Italia bicycle race.
The final part of the race takes the runners through the last 24 hairpin turns of the Stelvio Pass Panorama Road, one of Europe's most impressive mountain pass roads (pictured).
- 17 June 2017 (Saturday)
- Prad am Stilfserjoch / Prato allo Stelvio (Bolzano 80km, Innsbruck 150km, Verona 225km, Munich 238km)
- Nationalparkhaus aquaprad (Centro visite aquaprad), Kreuzweg (Via Croce), Prad am Stilfserjoch (Prato allo Stelvio)
- Stilfserjoch (Passo dello Stelvio)
Start time and race distance:
- 8.30: 42.195km run
- 8.45: 26km run
- 8.48: 26km walk
- 26km: 7 hours 45 minutes
- 42.2km: 8 hours
- in Prad am Stilfserjoch (Friday 10.00-20.00, on the day 6.00-7.00)
- 26km and 42km running races: Entrants must provide a medical certificate.
- 26km walk and 26km non-competitive ‘Just for fun’ run: Entrants don't need to provide a medical certificate.
- €70 (up to 30 Nov 2016)
- €90 (up to 31 Jan 2017)
- €110 (up to 31 May 2017)
- €130 (up to 13 June 2017)
- €160 (up to 17 June 2017)
- TDS chip timing (included in the entry fees)
- pasta party (Saturday 12.00-23.00)
- goodie bag
- transport of personal clothing from the start to the finish
- refreshments on the course
- finisher T-shirt
- medal to 42km marathon finishers
- free massage service
- transport from the finish to the start area
- showers and changing facilities
- prize money to the first 10 men and 10 women
- product prizes to the first 3 in each age group
- at 18.00 in Prad am Stilfserjoch
Number of finishers 2017:
- 26km: 144
- 42.2km: 372
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page! Please visit the official event website to verify the above information.