8th ‘Race to Base 20’
This short mountain race with an elevation gain of 400 metres over a 6-kilometre route takes runners into the Kočevski Rog, a remote protected nature area of pristine forests where one might encounter the odd wolf or bear.
The race starts off in the small village of Podturn pri Dolenjskih Toplicah (Podturn near Dolenjske Toplice), the oldest spa town in Slovenia. Participants run all the way on an asphalt road through the forest. The route features a nice gradual climb and a fast 300-metre sprint finish. For the time of the race, the road is closed to traffic.
The finish is at Baza 20, the political headquarters of the Communist-led resistance movement during World War Two. From April 1943 to December 1944, up to 180 people, including the Yugoslav Partisan leadership under the command of Marshal Tito, lived here well hidden and camouflaged, building bunkers, workshops, schools and hospitals. Twenty-six buildings and huts can still be seen.
In addition to the running event, a bike race to Baza 20 will be held in the morning, and a walk in the afternoon.
In 2008, the winners were Boštjan Kozan (25:27) and Marta Gričar (35:20).
- Podturn pri Dolenjskih Toplicah (15km from Novo Mesto, 67km from Ljubljana, 90km from Zagreb)
- 19 July 2009 (Sunday)
- 6km (+400m)
- at 17.30 in Podturn (walkers start at 17.00)
- Baza 20 (at an elevation of 600m)
- on the day from 16.00 at the forestry commission in Podturn
- €5 for walkers and for children under 15 years
- transport of personal clothing to the finish
- a meal
- trophies to the first three men and three women
- medals to the first three in each category
Number of finishers 2008:
Event website (in Slovene):
- www.k2m.si/baza20 (out of date)
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.