Sunday 10 April 2022
The Leipzig Marathon is a long-standing road running event that has been held since 1977 in the sports-mad city of Leipzig, capital of the state of Sachsen (Saxony) in eastern Germany.
It's a family-friendly event offering races for all ages:
- 600m: kids run (maybe not in 2021)
- 3km: kids inline skating (maybe not in 2021)
- 4km: run and walk
- 10km: run and walk
- 21.1km half marathon: run, inline skating, wheelchairs and handbikes
- 42.2km marathon: individual runners and relay teams of four
The start and the finish are at the Red Bull Arena (pictured above) in the Sportforum Leipzig, a vast complex of sports venues, situated approximately two kilometres west of the historic centre.
The full marathon is two laps of the half marathon course. Participants must complete the first lap in two and a half hours. The time limit to finish the race is five and a half hours.
The route is AIMS-certified and mainly flat and fast, and it passes several interesting sights such as the Augustusplatz in the city centre ...
... and the Völkerschlachtdenkmal, a colossal monument erected in 1913 to commemorate Napoleon's defeat in the ‘Battle of the Nations’ near Leipzig 100 years earlier:
Map of the venue:
Number of finishers:
- Event cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions. Virtual run only.
- Event cancelled due to coronavirus outbreak.
- 10km: 1,458 runners
- 21.1km: 2,300 runners
- 42.2km: 668 runners
- 42.2km relay: 45 teams
Leipzig Marathon 2022:
- 10 April 2022 (Sunday)
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.