Ostrava (Czech Republic), Sunday 11 September 2016
Held in Ostrava, the Czech Republic's third-largest city with a population of 300,000 residents, the Ostravský maraton features a fascinating route that takes in some of Europe's most impressive industrial heritage.
The event offers a 5k, a 10k, a half marathon, a full marathon, and an 8x5k relay race. The 10k is two laps of the 5k course and the marathon is two laps of the half marathon course.
All races begin and end at the Trojhalí (Triple Hall), a complex of historic industrial buildings in the redeveloped Nová Karolina area, site of the former Karolina coking plant:
The route runs along the River Ostravice, ...
... across Masarykovo náměstí, the main square in the city centre, ...
... and through residential areas in the district of Slezská Ostrava (‘Silesian Ostrava’):
The participants in the half marathon and in the marathon also run out and back towards the former Alexander coal mine in Ostrava-Kunčičky, ...
... and through the awe-inspiring Dolní oblast Vítkovice (Lower Vítkovice Area) which has been declared a site of National Cultural Heritage:
The course is certified, traffic-free and mostly flat ...
... but there are also some undulating stretches:
The time limit to finish the marathon is seven hours (three hours for the half).
Race information: 55. Ostravský maraton 2016
- Czech Republic
- Ostrava (91km from Katowice, 172km from Kraków, 173km from Brno, 256km from Bratislava, 303km from Vienna, 332km from Prague)
- 11 September 2016 (Sunday)
- 40km relay (8x5km, teams of 4-8 runners)
- 10.00 (21.1km kick scooters)
- 12.00 (21.1km, 42.2km)
- 12.50 (5km, 10km, 8x5km)
Start and finish:
- Trojhalí Karolina
- Trojhalí Karolina (Saturday 10 September 2016, 12.00-21.00)
Entry fees (up to 30 June 2016/up to 23 August 2016/from 24 August 2016):
- 5km, 10km: 400/500/600 CZK
- 21km: 400/600/800 CZK
- 42km: 600/800/1000 CZK
Exchange rate (April 2016):
- 100 CZK = ca. 3.70 EUR / 2.95 GBP / 4.17 USD
- bib chip timing (included in the entry fees)
- T-shirt (for 42km entries up to 31 July 2016 and for the first 1000 entries in the 5km, 10km and 21km races)
- medal (for entries up to 31 July 2016)
- goodie bag
- free parking
- relaxation/stretching zone
Changing facilities and showers:
- to the first 3 in each age group
- to the first 3 relay teams
Number of finishers 2015:
- 5km: 114
- 10km: 124
- 21.1km: 516
- 42.2km: 217
- 8x5km relay: 58 teams
- 21.1km kick scooters: 36
- www.ostravskymaraton.eu (out of date)
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page! Please visit the official event website to verify the above information.