Paluzza (Italy), Sunday 7 September 2014
IL VOLO DELL'AQUILA — "The Flight of the Eagle" is an 11.5km-long uphill mountain running race which features 930m of elevation gain from start to finish.
The event takes place annually in early September in the Carnic Alps in the north-east of Italy, very close to the border with Austria.
Held in memory of the mountaineer Erwin Maier (1971-2000), the race begins at Erwin's home in the northern part of the small town of Paluzza.
From the start the route heads north across a hill before it climbs gradually on gravel roads through forests to the finish line at the Rifugio Casera mountain hut which sits at an elevation of 1521m on the lovely Malga Pramosio mountain pasture.
The time limit to complete the course is 3 hours 30 minutes.
Race report, results and photos:
- Paluzza (70km from Udine, 145km from Klagenfurt, 183km from Ljubljana, 190km from Venice)
- 7 September 2014 (Sunday)
- 11.5km (+929m)
- 9.30 at "Casa Maier", Casteons di Paluzza (612m)
- at the Rifugio Casera on Malga Pramosio (1541m)
- by fax or online (up to 6 September 2014, 20.00hr)
- late entries on the day (up to 9.00)
- in the start area (from 8.00)
- a souvenir gift
- transport of personal clothing to the finish area
- pasta party after the race
- shuttle bus service after the race (from the finish area back to Paluzza)
- to the first 15 men and 8 women
- at 14.00 in the finish area
Number of finishers 2013:
Event website (in Italian):
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.