12th ‘Half Marathon on the Roman Grid’ 2013
San Giorgio delle Pertiche (Italy), Sunday 8 September 2013
Runners with a keen interest in Roman history will be particularly interested in the Maratonina sul Graticolato Romano, a flat and fast half marathon race held on the Venetian Plain in the north-eastern part of Italy.
The start and the finish are in the village of San Giorgio delle Pertiche, which is situated near the cities of Padua (Padova) and Venice (Venezia).
The route is one lap of a certified and traffic-free course through farmland and villages on the Graticolato Romano ("Roman Grid"), an area that serves as a prime example of Roman regional planning.
In the first century BC, this agricultural land was divided into a geometric pattern of squares, which were then split into farms for the settlers. The grid street plan is still visible on the course map and on the satellite image.
Last year, the race had over 300 finishers. The winners were David Kiplagat Tum of Kenya (1:05:56) and Aleksandra Fortin of Slovenia (1:20:54).
Race information: 12. Maratonina sul Graticolato Romano 2013
- 8 September 2013 (Sunday)
- San Giorgio delle Pertiche (17km from Padova, 40km from Venice, 84km from Verona)
- 21.1km (certified by IAAF)
Start and finish:
- Via Roma
- by post, fax or e-mail
- late entries on the day until 8.00
- entrants must provide a medical certificate at registration (and pay an additional €7) if they are not members of a recognized athletics club
- €15 (up to 3 September 2013)
- €18 (up to 6 September 2013)
- €23 (up to 8 September 2013)
- Scuola elementare (elementary school), Via Roma, San Giorgio delle Pertiche (Saturday 7 September 2013, 15.00-18.00; on the day from 7.30)
- goodie bag
- chip timing
- pasta party after the race
- showers, changing facilities, bag storage
- to the first 5 men and 5 women
- to the first 3 in each age group
- at 11.30
Number of finishers 2012:
- 317 runners and 8 handcyclists/wheelchairs
Event website (in Italian):
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.