Szigliget (Hungary), Saturday 13 October 2012
It may look frightening ...
... but this year's Várfutás ("Castle Run") at Lake Balaton in Hungary was a lovely small running event.
Participants ran either six or ten kilometres around the Szigliget peninsula ...
... before they faced a steep climb up to the ruins of Szigliget Castle.
Runners didn't need to buy a ticket ...
... to reach the finish line at the entrance to the medieval fortress.
The fastest finishers were awarded medals ...
... or trophies, ...
... and there was plenty of hearty food (bread with lard and onions) for hungry runners ...
... and castle-dwellers ...
... who performed a thrilling show ...
... in a magnificent setting.
- 13 October 2012 (Saturday)
- Szigliget (20km from Keszthely, 180km from Budapest, 195km from Vienna, 206km from Zagreb)
- 6km (for individual runners and relay teams)
- at 11.00 at the sports field (sportpálya) in Szigliget
- by e-mail; payment by bank transfer
- late entries on the day (9.30-11.00)
- HUF 2000 (advance entries until 10 Oct 2012)
- HUF 2500 (late entries on the day)
Exchange rate: HUF 1000 = ca. €3.57 (October 2012)
- transport of personal clothing from the start to the finish
- snacks and drinks
- free entry to Szigliget Castle
- medals or trophies to the best finishers in each category
- at 13.00 at Szigliget Castle
Number of finishers 2012:
- 40 adults and 31 children
Event website (in Hungarian):