6th "South Tyrol Nostalgia Run" 2010 - Cancelled!
Within eight days in May 2010, two running events will be staged on dismantled railway tracks in South Tyrol, Italy's northernmost province in the Alps: the 30km Cortina-Dobbiaco-Run with 3,000 participants and the much smaller 5.5km Südtiroler Nostalgielauf.
The race follows a section of the former narrow-gauge Fleimstalbahn. The railway was built during World War One and carried passengers until 1963.
Nowadays, it's a popular hiking and cycling route as it runs through tunnels and pretty countryside and across viaducts and bridges.
The start is in the small village of Kalditsch. The route runs on dirt roads and trails downhill to Montan (Italian: Montagna), a picturesque village surrounded by vineyards and orchards.
Montan is located on a sunny plateau above the Adige River Valley, 25 kilometres south of the provincial capital Bolzano and around 80 kilometres north of Lake Garda.
The course features an elevation loss of 115 metres, and some athletes go very fast. In 2009, the winners were Mirko Matuzzi (14:35) and Sylke Schmitz (17:21).
The Nostalgielauf 2010 has been cancelled!
- Montan / Montagna (25km from Bolzano, 39km from Trento, 142km from Innsbruck)
- Saturday 22 May 2010
- 2km (children 16 years and under)
- 19.00: 2km
- 19.30: 5.5km
- at the Plattnerhof guest house in Kalditsch
- payment on the day
- no entry fees for children
Deposit for the timing chip:
- €10 (fully refundable)
- in the start area (18.00-19.15)
- finisher T-shirt
- bus service from Montan to the start area (from 17.00 to 19.00)
- to the first 3 men and 3 women
- to the first 3 in each category
Showers and changing facilities:
Number of finishers 2009:
- 113 (5.5km)
Event website (in German and Italian):
- Südtirol Marathon (out of date)
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.