Saturday 21 May 2022
The GutsMuths-Rennsteiglauf takes runners along the Rennsteig, a long-distance hiking trail that follows the ridge of the Thüringer Wald (Thuringian Forest) in Germany.
Held annually since 1973, the Rennsteiglauf is a hugely popular multi-terrain running event with approximately 12,000 finishers in three races.
All three races feature very hilly point-to-point routes starting at three different locations:
- 21.1km Halbmarathon:
- ascent 351m, descent 481m
- start in the winter sports resort of Oberhof
- 42.2km Marathon:
- ascent 769m, descent 844m
- start in the small town of Neuhaus am Rennweg
- 73.9km Supermarathon:
- ascent 1,874m, descent 1,386m
- start on the main square of Eisenach, the town that is home to the famous Wartburg Castle
The finish line is in the resort of Schmiedefeld am Rennsteig (pictured).
In addition to the above races, the event offers cross races for juniors and for runners with special needs, as well as two routes (17km, 42.2km) for walkers and nordic walkers.
Map of the venue:
Number of finishers:
- Halbmarathon: 2,869
- Marathon: 1,534
- Supermarathon: 904
- Event cancelled due to coronavirus outbreak
- Halbmarathon: 6,734
- Marathon: 3,144
- Supermarathon: 1,882
- 21 May 2022 (Saturday)
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.