Sunday 4 August 2024
Held every year in the summer in the Steiermark (Styria) province in Austria, the Bergmarathon Kainach is a long-distance mountain running race which is open to individual runners and three-person relay teams.
The 44km race features about 1,800 metres of ascent and 1,800 metres of descent, starting and finishing at an elevation of 542 metres in the small village of Kainach bei Voitsberg.
The highest point on the course is at 1,790 metres above sea level on the grass-covered ridge of the Gleinalpe (or Gleinalm) mountain range.
The route is a scenic loop through forests and mountain pastures, mainly on gravel roads and trails.
Runners can expect to add at least one hour to their road marathon finishing time. The time limit to complete the course is seven hours. It is not allowed to use hiking poles.
In addition to the mountain marathon, the event offers an 18.5km race for runners and nordic walkers.
Map of the venue:
33. Bergmarathon Kainach:
- 6 August 2023 (Sunday)
- 4 August 2024 (Sunday)
Number of finishers:
- Event cancelled
- 18.5km: 26 runners and 31 nordic walkers
- 44km: 113 runners and 15 relay teams
- 18.5km: 29 runners and 19 nordic walkers
- 44km: 62 runners and 20 relay teams
- Event cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions
- 18.5km: 40 runners and 21 nordic walkers
- 44km: 174 runners and 27 relay teams
- 18.5km: 31 runners and 27 nordic walkers
- 44km: 103 runners and 28 relay teams
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.