Velika Gorica (Croatia), Sunday 26 March 2017
Held annually in March in the Turopolje, a low-lying microregion south of Zagreb, the Turopoljska trka ("Turopolje Run") is one of the most prestigious running events in Croatia. This year, it will celebrate its silver jubilee.
The half marathon has drawn most of the attention but the event also offers a 5k run, a 5k for inline skaters, a 400m wheelchair race, and children's races.
Starting and finishing in the centre of the town of Velika Gorica, near the Zagreb International Airport, the half marathon takes the runners out and back through three villages (Gradići, Donja Lomnica and Lukavec).
There may be more scenic races in Croatia, but the event offers a fine opportunity to clock a personal best time over the 5k or the half marathon distance.
The route is IAAf-certified and, with 60 metres of ascent over the 21.1 kilometres, it is mainly flat and fast.
In the villages, you'll see a number of traditional timber houses, including the kurija Modić-Bedeković in Donja Lomnica, a wooden manor house that was built in 1806 (pictured).
The route also passes the dvorac Lukavec, a very pretty small 18th-century castle.
Last year, 214 runners completed the half marathon. The winners were László Gregor of Hungary (1:07:00) and Croatia's Marija Vrajić (1:18:10). The 5k had 186 finishers.
- Velika Gorica (16km from Zagreb, 150km from Ljubljana, 200km from Graz, 354km from Budapest)
- 26 March 2017 (Sunday)
Start time and race distance:
- 9.50: 400m wheelchairs
- 10.20: 5km inline skating
- 10.30: 5km and 21.1km run
- 10.50: children's races
- 5km: 45 minutes
- 21.1km: 3 hours
Start and finish:
- at the Pučko otvoreno učilište Velika Gorica (POUVG)
- in the start/finish area (on the day 7.30-9.30)
- 5km: online (up to 16 March 2017); late entries on the day (see details on the official event website!)
- 21.1km: online (up to 16 March 2017); no entries on the day
Entry fees (5km):
- HRK 50 (up to 31 January 2017)
- HRK 60 (up to 28 February 2017)
- HRK 70 (up to 16 March 2017)
- HRK 80 (up to 26 March 2017)
Entry fees (21.1km):
- HRK 100 (up to 31 January 2017)
- HRK 120 (up to 28 February 2017)
- HRK 150 (up to 16 March 2017)
Exchange rate: HRK 100 = ca. € 13.50
- 5km: stopwatch timing
- 21.1km: chip timing (included in the entry fees)
- goodie bag
- refreshments on the course
- finisher medal
- a meal after the race
Showers, changing facilities, bag storage:
- 5km: to the first 3 men and 3 women; to the first 3 in each age group
- 21.1km: to the first 5 men and 5 women; to the first 3 in each age group
- 5km: at 13.00
- 21.1km: at 13.30
Number of finishers 2016:
- 5km: 186
- 21.1km: 214
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page! Please visit the official event website to verify the above information.