Kamnik (Slovenia), Saturday 8 July 2017
You don't need to be an elite runner to take part in the European Mountain Running Championships 2017, to be held on 8 July in the alpine Gorenjska region in Slovenia.
The event offers an Open Race which is open to all runners aged 18 years or over.
But you'll have to get up early. The race will kick off at 7.30 a.m., two and a half hours before the first championship races will be started.
The course is 11.9km long and very demanding as it includes 1295 metres of ascent and 75 metres of descent, like the men's championship race.
However, it's well worth the effort! The route is tremendously scenic, starting at an elevation of 440 metres at the foot of Kamnik-Savinja Alps and finishing at 1660 metres on the summit of the Velika planina plateau, a stunningly-beautiful place that is well-known for its many wooden herdsmen's huts and the delicious dairy products served up there.
The route also passes the kapela Marije Snežne (Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows):
- 8 July 2017 (Saturday)
- Godič (4km from Kamnik, 19km from Ljubljana Airport, 27km from Ljubljana)
- 11.9km (+1295m, -75m)
- 90 minutes at the 8km mark
- Eko Resort pod Veliko planino, Godič 44b, 1242 Stahovica (Kamnik)
- Gradišče, Velika planina
- Information office of the European Championships, Novi trg 41a, Kamnik (7 July 2017, 8.00-20.00)
- in the start area (on the day 6.00-7.00)
- online (up to 4 July 2017)
- no entries on the day
- transport of personal clothing from the start to the finish
- five refreshment stations on the course
- finisher medal
- a meal after the race
- a souvenir gift
- trophies/medals to the first three in each age group
- at 9.30
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page! Please visit the official event website to verify the above information.