Borghetto - Gardaland (Italy), Sunday 6 May 2012
Over 1,500 runners took part in last year's second edition of the Gardaland Half Marathon which features a very scenic point-to-point route through the Province of Verona in northern Italy.
The race begins on the magnificent Ponte Visconteo (pictured above), a fortified dam built in the fourteenth century on the edge of the picturesque village of Borghetto, which is situated approximately twelve kilometres south of Italy's largest lake, Lago di Garda.
Participants run on undulating roads and cycleways along the River Mincio, through the fortress town of Peschiera del Garda, ...
... along the lakeside promenade of Lake Garda, ...
... and finally through Gardaland, one of Europe's most popular amusement parks.
It is also possible to run the race as a 2-person relay (14km + 7km).
In 2011, the event was held in October. The top finishers were Philemon Kipchumba Kisang of Kenya (1:06:10) and Silvia Moreni of Italy (1:22:38).
- Borghetto - Gardaland (Gardaland is 24km from Verona, 136km from Milan and 141km from Venice)
- 6 May 2012 (Sunday)
- 21.1km half marathon
- 14km+7km relay ("Duo Half Marathon")
- at 9.30 on Ponte Visconteo (Visconti Bridge) in Borghetto di Valeggio sul Mincio
- on the car park of the Gardaland amusement park
- online or by fax
- entries close 2 May 2012 or when the race limit of 2,000 runners has been reached
- half marathon runners may have to provide a medical certificate at registration (and pay an extra €7 if they are not members of an Italian athletics club)
- relay runners do not have to provide a medical certificate
Entry fees (21.1km):
- €23 (up to 31 March 2012)
- €27 (up to 2 May 2012)
Entry fees (relay teams):
- €20 (up to 31 March 2012)
- €30 (up to 2 May 2012)
- at the Gardaland car park (5 May 2012, 10.00-19.00)
- at the start in Borghetto (on the day 7.00-8.30)
You get (21.1km and relay):
- goody bag
- chip timing
- free parking at the start and at the finish
- shuttle bus service between the start and the finish
- transport of personal clothing from the start to the finish area
- to the first 3 men and 3 women
- at 12.30 in the finish area
Showers and changing facilities:
Number of finishers 2011:
- 21.1km: 1,324 runners
- relay: 89 teams
- www.gardalandhalfmarathon.it (out of date)
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page.