NATO Partnership Running Festival
Budapest (Hungary), Sunday 24 September 2017
Organized by the Budapest Athletic Federation, and held in the heart of Hungary's capital city, the NATO Run (Hungarian: NATO futás) is a highly popular running event.
Last year, an international crowd of about 4,500 runners took part in the 4km and 10km races for individual runners and relay teams.
Compared to many other big running events in Budapest the entry fees are low, ranging from €9 to €15 for the 10k race. A technical T-shirt is included in the fees.
The NATO Run attracts military personnel from many different countries but you don't need to be in the armed forces to take part in the event.
The races are open to all runners, and most participants are civilians.
A new, challenging and very scenic route was introduced in 2016, starting at Vérmező, a public park below Castle Hill in Buda, the western part of the city.
The 10k race takes the runners through the tunnel under the hill (pictured below), along the River Danube, around Buda Castle (pictured above), uphill to the Castle District, and along the beautiful Tóth Árpád Promenade which offers excellent views of Buda.
The finish line is at the Military History Museum on top of the hill.
Hungary's Attila Honti won last year's 10k race in a fine time of 31 minutes 7 seconds, showing a clean pair of heels to a strong field of soldiers from Portugal, Romania, Great Britain, Germany, Slovenia and other NATO countries.
Lilla Böhm, also from Hungary, was the first lady across the line, finishing in 37 minutes 51 seconds.
The time limit to complete the course is 80 minutes.
Race information: NATO Run 2017
- 24 September 2017 (Sunday)
Start time and race distance:
- 10.30: 4km Historical Running Relay (13-member student teams)
- 11.00: 10km NATO Run (individual runners)
- 11.00: 10km NATO Run (2-member relay teams: 4.5km + 5.5km)
- 12.40: 4km Castle Run
- Attila utca 135 (Attila Street 135), at the Vérmező ("Bloodfield") park
- Kapisztrán tér (Capistrano Square)
- in the office of the Budapest Athletic Federation (on workdays betweeen 7 and 22 September 2017)
- in the start area (on the day of the race)
- online or by post (up to 18 September 2017)
- in person in Budapest (28 August - 22 September 2017)
- late entries on the day (10km: 8.30-10.30; 4km: 10.00-12.00)
- reduced entry fees for students and for runners aged 65 years or over
Entry fees (10km):
- € 9 (up to 24 August 2017)
- € 11 (up to 11 September 2017)
- € 13 (up to 22 September 2017)
- € 15 (on 24 September 2017)
Entry fees (10km relay teams):
- € 14 (up to 24 August 2017)
- € 16 (up to 11 September 2017)
- € 18 (up to 22 September 2017)
- € 22 (on 24 September 2017)
Entry fees (4km):
- € 6 (up to 24 August 2017)
- € 7 (up to 11 September 2017)
- € 10 (up to 22 September 2017)
- € 12 (on 24 September 2017)
- technical T-shirt
- chip timing
- refreshments on the course and at the finish
- finisher medal (to 10km runners)
- changing facilities
- bag storage
- live music
- Hungarian folk music and dances
- to the first three in each race
Number of finishers 2017:
- 10km: 1,444 runners
- 10km relay: 79 teams
Number of finishers 2016:
- 10km: 1,400 runners
- 10km relay: 96 teams
- 4km relay: 106 teams
Event website (in Hungarian and English):
No guarantee is made as to the accuracy or thoroughness of the information on this page! Please visit the official event website to verify the above information.